Thursday, May 2, 2019

Organize your work

Two days until Easter Holiday, I've managed to cover all my tasks for this week but something on my desk doesn't look right: I can't manage to keep my desk organized. When you talk about me, cleanness last only for half hour, tops ๐Ÿ˜€  
How bad is it? Like in the photo below๐Ÿ‘‡ (guess what? You can also find 2 files under my desk ๐Ÿ˜‡)
This is me! I always was a messy person. In high school, I never used my home desk for homework, I always write on my bed, on the floor with all my books around me. My mother tried to make me be more organized, but it was a work in vain. She even turned to my teacher to help her, but my teacher approach was surprising: she told my mother to test me and to ask me something from my pile of books and if I would manage to give it to her from one try it means that this is the way I "work" and she shouldn't try to change me. Of course I passed the test and now I'm still a messy one.
I see my colleagues and how their desks  look and I'm sometimes a little bit ashamed. I work in a production company and 5S is a big part of our organization. I try to apply it but it only last for 1 or 2 days.


  

I can't work if my papers are placed in order, I feel that I'm constrained that I can't think.
But we all know that we have to respect the rules from our organization even if this means that we all need to have a nice desk.
But how can you make an employee like me to identify with your organization values and not feel constrained by your rules?
In my opinion you can involve them in the process. Make him part of the team that supervise for a short time the process and let him come with improvements. It worked in my case, now I try to apply all that I've found out and at the end of the day I clean my desk and I organize all the files. It's an improvement and I am sure that soon I will have a clean desk all day.
In my reading I found out about another method of organizing your work. It is a method detailed into the book  "Getting things done" by David Allen.  
GTD is a management method that helps improve your productivity. The main idea is that you have to store externally your projects in order to reduce stress and increase your productivity. The method is based on a workflow that consists in five steps:
  • capture - you can write down, recorder all your tasks, to do list, everything you have to do
  • clarify -  all the things you have to do, make them as simple as you can. And if you see that you can do it in less than 2 minutes do it now and the list become lighter
  • organize - create lists,  also you can prioritize them by importance or what you want and put a reminder
  • reflect -  look at your list and reflect on what steps you want to do next also you have to check the list as often as you can to update it
  • engage -  get to work and make an action plan and stick to it. Do this with confidence
 And my sixth step is REPEAT! 

Don't forget there are studies which show that the unorganized people are more creative ๐Ÿ˜Š and at the end of the day, if your employee does all his tasks, I think you will be happy.
 
Do you know another method that helps you to be more organized?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment